Saturday, August 15, 2015

Destiny Project: Lord of Wolves

Right around the time that I was getting the Monte Carlo to paint "Mr. Japan" asked for another. This time a Shotgun from the (at the time) new expansion "House of Wolves. The Exotic shotgun Lord of Wolves.

I took a look at this one and really wanted to do it. It was very different shape wise than most of the things I had been doing. It was huge too. I will fully admit I very much underestimated the effort it would take to build this beast. Once I had gotten started on it I quickly realized that it was a ton of details all over the place. I would have to pretty much sculpt every little detail and then reproduce it, some up to 34 times, so I decided to build this one with the thought of making a mold of it in mind. This one was a very long process. First I made myself a basic blueprint. As with most of my blueprints they are mostly just for basic dimensions and over all most of the building of the actual item is based on reference images.


After building the initial base structure of the gun.



 I started building all the little details.



 
 Each on was a process in it's self, build with all the little details, take a mold, cast 2 or more. With so many molds in just the small details it seemed it would be a waste to not take molds of the big base pieces.
 After all the pieces had been molded I assembled the original for final paint and details. Here is the base paint after the first evening.

Here are the final pictures. A ton of work in this one but I really do enjoy the final product turned out just about perfect. Also the first ever gun I have made intended for a for someone with 4 arms...



















If you hadn't guessed by this point this one will be up for sale so that anyone can get there very own. I will admit I was very happy with the final product of this guy by it was a long journey to get there. Reproductions consist of 104 different cast pieces, assembly of those 104 pieces, paint, detailing, and aging. This gun measures almost 4 feet and is a pretty impressive sight. Let me know what you think in the comments below and head over and follow my Facebook Page for updates on my current projects.

Destiny Project: Monte Carlo

The same day I had taken the Japan order to the post office I was contacted again for yet another commission. At this point "Mr. Japan" had become my longest repeat customer to date, I was willing to at least consider requests. This time it was another rifle build. The exotic, PS exclusive, auto rifle The Monte Carlo.
I thought about it for a bit and decided I would do it. Once it was paid I started the research and collecting my materials.

Not a ton of progress pics on this one it's a rather clean build. pretty much just building out the layers.


As for the finished product here are the photos for the Exotic auto Rifle. Enjoy.

















 Over all I'm mostly happy with it. I gave it a white and then a pearl over coat for the paint, it gave it a sheen that made it look right. I think the details could have been better, but given I was doing it in EVA I think it turned out pretty good. Let me know what you think and hop on over to my facebook page to keep more up to date on my projects as they come along.

Destiny Project: Red Death

As I was plugging along on my 3 hand cannons and not to mention the back log I had of swords and hunter blades at the time, my phone sounded off letting me know I had a message on Etsy. I go and check it and it is Mr. Japan. asking for not just one more but two this time, Hawkmoon and Red Death. bringing the total of commissions at this point up two 5 not including the Sword of Crota. I went and collected my plethora of reference materials for both. At this point the amount of commissions I had gotten also afforded me a little extra spending money to throw into my business.
While looking at my reference I was also looking into 3D printers. This is not to say I wanted to switch over to purely printing but the thought behind it was some of those smaller more intricate pieces might be better served printed opposed to me building everything from scratch. It also effectively gave me another set of hands so while it was printing something I had previously 3D modeled I could be in the shop working on other things. I found one that suited my needs just fine and with a price that made it affordable. Maybe not top of the line but good enough for what I wanted it for. So meet Jarvis (yes an Iron Man reference with that one. I figured it's the closest I'll get to a Jarvis for now.)



This afforded me to print out the smaller parts that would otherwise take a lot of my time trying to get just right such as sights and small details that would take me much longer to work out of foam or styrene than it would take Jarvis to print them for me.

The Hawkmoon I will save for another post given there is a bit more to that part of the story so let me focus mostly on the Red Death. Here you go a TON of WIP pics for you.















As you can see the WIP pics are from pretty close to the beginning to paint just before details and finishing touches. Here are the pictures of the finished Exotic Pulse Rifle Red Death.













 Getting the "Blood" to have that texture took a bit of brain storming. After a lot of thought I realized I had done this very effect before just for deco reasons rather than on a prop. I added some "Dimensional paint" a.k.a. Puff paint to my blood mix and it worked perfectly.






 Let me know what you think in the comments below. Also don't forget to head over and like my Facebook Page and keep up to date on my current projects.